The New York Stock Exchange bell (NYSE Bell) was introduced in the 1870’s, and there are currently four in number and are operated simultaneously. A chinese gong was the original choice and in 1903 it was replaced by a brass bell. Measuring 18 inches in diameter, they were manufactured by the G S Edwards Company of Connecticut. In the late 1980’s, it was decided to refurbish them and add another one as a back-up. However, it was discovered that such of its kind were no longer being made by any company. Hence, G S Edwards Co. agreed to make a special replica and brought employees out of retirement to handle the job. While this was being done, an older one was discovered, which was polished and is now used as a spare one.