FACT FOOD #1824

Humboldt University of Berlin (HU Berlin) has its origins in the early 19th century when it was established by Frederick William III (as University of Berlin) under the initiative of three philosophers Wilhelm von Humboldt, Johann Fichte, and Friedrich Schleiermacher. Until 1949, it was known as Friedrich Wilhelm University and its present name comes from the two brothers Alexander von Humboldt and Wilhelm von Humboldt.