FACT FOOD #684

Trobriand Islands

Trobriand Islands, part of Papua New Guniea are islands named after a French ship (Espérance) lieutenant Denis de Trobriand, in 1793. Hundred years later, a Methodist missionary arrived to the islands, and later it changed hands to Catholic mission, British and the Australians. Nevertheless, the locals resisted the change and continue to hold a firm grip on their traditional ways and adopt the matriarchal system. However, the with wars banned, conflicts in the islands are resolved by a game of cricket. 

Image: Remote Islands