FACT FOOD #147

The Government Golf Course in Gulmarg, Kashmir was the second to be built by the British in India after the Royal Calcutta Golf Club. In 1920’s, the resort had two 18-hole courses, the ‘Upper Course’ and the ‘Lower’ and one 9-hole middle course (the “Rabbits Course”). The only course to survive, however, exists where the Upper Course used to be. It was redesigned in the 1970’s by Peter Thomson. At an altitude of 3,730 m Gulmarg GC is among the world’s highest and most beautiful green golf courses in the world.