FACT FOOD #40

The Buttonwood Agreement, which took place on May 17, 1792, started the New York Stock & Exchange Board now called the New York Stock Exchange. This agreement was signed by twenty-four stock brokers outside of 68 Wall Street New York under a buttonwood tree. The organization drafted its constitution on March 8, 1817, and named itself the “New York Stock & Exchange Board”. In 1863, this name was shortened to its modern form, “New York Stock Exchange”.

The grounds of the building feature six buttonwood trees, providing a reminder of the buttonwood tree on Wall Street under which 24 brokers formed the New York Stock Exchange in 1792, as described on this plaque.